• Welcome to Andy's Workshop Forums. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:38:48 pm

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Z800 Compatible RAM

Started by denj, December 09, 2016, 05:13:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

denj

Quote from: Dexler on February 19, 2017, 11:24:04 pm
Quote from: denj on January 03, 2017, 08:32:07 pm
Too late, I already purchased them for 40 USD each...I now have excess...sigh.

What are you going to do with your excess ones Denj?

Was planning on selling them back on eBay

msilveira

Anyone kind enough to tell me wether it is possible to use 4x PC3L-8500 4rx4 + 2x PC3-8500 4xr4 (16gb modules) ?
I'm not sure about this setup... I've just found someone selling "cheap" PC3L-8500 4rx4 16gb modules ( only 4 units unfortunately ) ... but I'll still be missing 2 modules ( Dual CPU )...
As soon as I find other 2 cheap PC3L modules, I'll buy them and change the PC3 modules for the PC3L modules ( and probably sell the PC3 modules )...
Or.. If the budget is OK in the future, I might upgrade to 192gb and upgrade the CPUs ( E5620 at the moment )...

Are these setups possible: 4x PC3L + 2x PC3 and 6x PC3L + 6x PC3 ( all 16gb 4rx4 )?

msilveira

Not sure yet about my last post, but I guess I could mix PC3L for CPU0 and PC3 for CPU1 , right?

FYI: It works with Unbuffered, non-ECC ( Standard desktop ) Memory modules, both single side an dual side, I've just thrown 6x4gb for CPU0 and it works fine!
PS: I had a pair of modules that didn't work, theoretically equal to another pair I have working, but... for whatever reason, the Mobo didn't like them!

FYI2: Memtest86+ doesn't work with Z800, but memtest86 4 from http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm#v4 works fine ( v4.3.7 )

Paul1966

Hi All
1st Post !! :-)
I have 6 X Samsung 4rx4 PC3L-8500R-07-11-AB1-D3  (Planet First)
which POSTs passes memtest86
runs ubuntu
but fails to boot win 10 64bit (pro)(clean install)
does anyone have any ideas
as I'm so stuck.....

Thanks in advance
Paul1966

Andy Brown

Quote from: Paul1966 on July 22, 2017, 09:17:57 am
Hi All
1st Post !! :-)
I have 6 X Samsung 4rx4 PC3L-8500R-07-11-AB1-D3  (Planet First)
which POSTs passes memtest86
runs ubuntu
but fails to boot win 10 64bit (pro)(clean install)
does anyone have any ideas
as I'm so stuck.....

Hi Paul, does your configuration match one of the supported configurations in the "HP Z800 Memory Configuration and Optimization" PDF? If it does then I'd try as many of the other supported permutations from the table in that guide as possible. I guess from the fact it works in memtest86 that the sticks themselves are in good order and are supported by the underlying hardware and it must be something to do with Windows.
It's worse than that, it's physics Jim!

Paul1966

Hi Andy,
Thanks for your prompt reply,
I have 2 processors, therefore the sticks have to be in the configuration set out (black slots).
I don't know any other configurations I could try,
The 24gb I had originally, came out of the same black slots, meaning the slots aren't at fault?

I know some operating systems aren't as fussy as Windows, which is why we tried Ubuntu.
I also believe it's something to do with Windows, but nobody else seems to have the same fault that I do. Which is the spinning dots crashing on Windows 10 load.

I also have all the drivers up to date, and BIOS flashed to the latest version (ver3.60)

Thanks in advance,
Paul.

msilveira

Quote from: Paul1966 on July 24, 2017, 02:43:54 pm
Hi Andy,
Thanks for your prompt reply,
I have 2 processors, therefore the sticks have to be in the configuration set out (black slots).
I don't know any other configurations I could try,
The 24gb I had originally, came out of the same black slots, meaning the slots aren't at fault?

I know some operating systems aren't as fussy as Windows, which is why we tried Ubuntu.
I also believe it's something to do with Windows, but nobody else seems to have the same fault that I do. Which is the spinning dots crashing on Windows 10 load.

I also have all the drivers up to date, and BIOS flashed to the latest version (ver3.60)

Thanks in advance,
Paul.

Have you tried a different, low power GPU? or only 1 CPU? This might be related to PSU stability or GPU.
I know, ubuntu runs fine, I know linux very well... but it's time for some trial / error.

Paul1966

Thanks for the prompt reply,

Will give this a go, and see whether it fixes the problem.

Thanks for the advice,
Paul

Paul1966

Hi msilveira,
LOL
Booted 1st time after pulling a CPU.....
in retrospect I guess low voltage means higher current ??
maybe trying to step from 12gb to 96gb is too much power drain ?

Thanks again
to all who have posted
Paul

msilveira

Quote from: Paul1966 on July 25, 2017, 02:23:29 pm
Hi msilveira,
LOL
Booted 1st time after pulling a CPU.....
in retrospect I guess low voltage means higher current ??
maybe trying to step from 12gb to 96gb is too much power drain ?

Thanks again
to all who have posted
Paul

You may try another low power GPU, and try adding one pair of memory stick ( 1 per cpu )  a time ...