• Welcome to Andy's Workshop Forums. Please login or sign up.

Hacking an HP Z800 motherboard into a standard PC case

Started by Andy Brown, November 01, 2014, 04:53:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Marco Silva

Andy, what kind of temperatures were you seeing with your 48 GB's installed?  I'm asking this because I've started stress testing the memory with a synthetic benchmark and ram temperatures rapidly went over 50º Celcius..is this about right?

Andy Brown

February 03, 2015, 12:45:49 pm #46 Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 12:50:56 pm by Andy Brown
I don't know what the temperature was when I had all 48Gb installed - where are you finding live RAM temperature readings and where's the sensor positioned? DDR3 DIMMs are rated for 85C at the case (the plastic IC case) so if your 50C is a true reading then you're some way off the maximum safe level.

This is a great presentation from Micron on DDR3 thermal characteristics that's heavy on evidence and light on theory so it's easy to read. The most interesting part I thought was the effect of the heatspreaders in conjunction with airflow and DIMM spacing.
It's worse than that, it's physics Jim!

Marco Silva

I'm using HWmonitor to see the temperatures.

http://imgur.com/iMz4SlU

On that screeshot i had only started after 3 minutes they were really going into high's 50's so i've interrupted the test, because my memory doesn't have a heatsink neither any airflow as it sits now.

Andy Brown

Ah yes, HWmonitor shows mine as well and those sensors are actually on the DIMMS which is great. I'm getting mid 40's while idle with 24Gb (which fills all alternate slots). Half mine have heat spreaders and half don't.

For fun I just kicked off a video rendering session and the bare DIMMs are hovering at around 53/43/53. Those with spreaders are running at around 46/41/46 which does fit with Micron's presentation that indicates the spreaders are worth about 5C benefit. None of those temperatures concern me in the slightest. If I see them get into the 70s then I'd be concerned.

Before I go back up to 48Gb I'm going to rig up a pair of these (attached) to blow down on to the DIMMs from above. Not entirely sure how I'm going to fix them yet but it's probably going to involve fitting them with right-angle brackets to the roof of the case.

JonMS

Don't forget to check out HP Performance Advisor for in-depth information on your machine and this cool graphic  :D
http://i.imgur.com/BpxTp1r.jpg

I also added USB 3.0 to my build with a PCIe card that has a USB3 header on it. That and a 5.25" hot swap bay (1 2.5" drive and 1 3.5" drive + 2 USB 3.0 Ports)

badboy2

Hi Andy and everyone who love the way we hack z800.

From my last post, I try to use intel E5520 to boost in bios and hoping to upgrade for xeon x5650 but no avail.
I use dual power (800w and 650w) and mod cable as Andy's instruction. When I start, power is on, Video Card is on, but I couldn't boost in bios. Nothing on my screen. I just boost in bios 1 times, but system shut down after 2 minute.

@Andy: Do you have any idea for this problem?

HEre is my video: http://youtu.be/XivKqJJzofQ

Marco Silva

Quote from: badboy2 on February 06, 2015, 01:51:39 amI use dual power (800w and 650w) and mod cable as Andy's instruction.

That dual psu setup you use is completely unnecessary.

Quote from: badboy2 on February 06, 2015, 01:51:39 amI just boost in bios 1 times, but system shut down after 2 minute.

Did you use the cpu heatsink?

JonMS

Quote from: badboy2 on February 06, 2015, 01:51:39 am
Hi Andy and everyone who love the way we hack z800.

From my last post, I try to use intel E5520 to boost in bios and hoping to upgrade for xeon x5650 but no avail.
I use dual power (800w and 650w) and mod cable as Andy's instruction. When I start, power is on, Video Card is on, but I couldn't boost in bios. Nothing on my screen. I just boost in bios 1 times, but system shut down after 2 minute.

@Andy: Do you have any idea for this problem?

HEre is my video: http://youtu.be/XivKqJJzofQ

Please put a heatsink on that porocessor

Andy Brown

QuotePlease put a heatsink on that porocessor

+100

That CPU is undoubtedly entering thermal shutdown and will eventually be permanently damaged. A heatsink with active cooling rated for at least the TDP of the CPU is mandatory.

x2xx

rear chasi fan 6pin connector picture (2x 4pin fans)
black = GND
blue = +12V
brown = PWM
gray = RPM

x2xx

Marco Silva

Nice info x2xx  :D

I also want to do a little update....already running the chinese wiring  :P
And I've also "upgraded" my cpu's to X5675 on revision 2 board.

Andy Brown

I've had some more time to play around with the BIOS SPI header on an 002 motherboard. I've verified that when VSS and VDD are supplied with 0/3.3V then WP and HOLD are both high at the legs of the BIOS IC. This is good. It means that the SPI flash device is write enabled and should accept programming commands.

However, I've tried sending it the JEDEC RDID command and it's not responding, SO stubbornly stays high. I know my CE/SCK/SI protocol is correct because I've verified it with a logic analyser at the master end and I've communicated like this with dozens of SPI ICs before now. Not sure what's going on, maybe I'll probe it at the legs of the BIOS IC to see if the signals are not getting there intact.

Andy Brown

Here's my attempt at memory cooling. I bought some right-angle brackets off ebay and used them to fix a Fractal Design 120mm fan to the roof of the DS6, angled in to direct air through the DIMMs. The fan is connected to one of the case's built-in controllers so I can manage the speed from the front of the case.

The DIMMs themselves don't need active cooling in the way that a CPU heatsink does. The aim here is to move hot air away from the DIMMs and out of the back of the case before that air can raise the temperature of a neighbouring DIMM. I've still only got 24 of my 48Gb installed in here, I plan to add the rest later.

badboy2

Hi all, me again >.<. I try to put the cpu heatsink on, use 1 cpu e5520 to make sure old bios could handle this. I try many time to turn my system on but computer power supply shuts down after a few seconds and I have no idea why's that. Anyone could give me a suggestion for this trouble?

Thank all ^^