• Welcome to Andy's Workshop Forums. Please login or sign up.

Hacking an HP Z800 motherboard into a standard PC case

Started by Andy Brown, November 01, 2014, 04:53:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LordOdin

I plugged my 3 pin fans (Case fans) in to the 5 pin CPU headers and my 4 pin (CPU fans) in to the 4 pin case fan headers and got these results.

Marco Silva

Have you tried to adjust the fan speed in the bios?

LordOdin

I only see case fan speeds in the bios and i have them turned up all the way

Attilio Fiandrotti

This looks better already: you are below 40 when idle now. Fans 0 and 1 are the two CPU fans: if they are 3-pins fans, what you read is their maximum speed. About the fans connected to the front fans headers, assuming that you do not have an air temp sensors installed and that without it the fan controller makes the front fans spin at 100% via PWM, what you read as temp 2 and 3 is their maximum speed.

LordOdin

Another question have is, Is there a way to software overclock CPUs since there is no way to do it in the bios.

Attilio Fiandrotti

Good point: the clock generator on the board seems to be the chip close to the black heatsink, which is an ICS 9FG1200DG [1].
I checked which ICS clock generators Set FSB supports [2], but our chip isn't among them.
any idea?

[1] http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/445825/IDT/9FG1200DG-1LF.html
[2] http://www.cpufsb.de/FSB.HTM

john-erik.krische

Here's how I mounted my hyper t4 screw the lga 1155 or whatever else standoff in upside down.
Just a little warning. Make sure to screw the posts into the backplate all the way. I actually ruined one of the posts by not tightening it fully. Other then that, it has been sturdy

ASELERT

Hello... I'm a french designer, 2 month ago I've discover the Andy Workshop forum and especially this thread.  :)

I was immediately interested because I was looking for a high performance workstation (computing CPU / GPU for 3D rendering) but with a "small" budget.
I invested in an HP Z800 #02 which the seller indicated what works for XEON X56xx.

So I bought :

2x X5670 + Fans
3x GTX 780 Ti
48GB of RAM
Enermax 1500W PSU with an adapter for Z800:
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/171828272385?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I tested with different configurations but nothing happens, the mainboard seems unwilling to start. I have no display, no sound, nothing. Only fans run ... What to do?
Does that could come from the BIOS is not actually flashed to date? Or too much watt from the PSU?

Thank you to help me!! I'm confused and I need to work quickly...
Talk soon

Nicolas

john-erik.krische

August 04, 2015, 12:21:05 pm #188 Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 12:32:12 pm by John Erik Krische
Quote from: ASELERT on August 04, 2015, 04:21:59 am
Hello... I'm a french designer, 2 month ago I've discover the Andy Workshop forum and especially this thread.  :)

I was immediately interested because I was looking for a high performance workstation (computing CPU / GPU for 3D rendering) but with a "small" budget.
I invested in an HP Z800 #02 which the seller indicated what works for XEON X56xx.

So I bought :

2x X5670 + Fans
3x GTX 780 Ti
48GB of RAM
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/171828272385?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I tested with different configurations but nothing happens, the mainboard seems unwilling to start. I have no display, no sound, nothing. Only fans run ... What to do?
Does that could come from the BIOS is not actually flashed to date? Or too much watt from the PSU?

Talk soon

Nicolas
The 002 boards only work with a single x56xx processor, even if they are flashed to the latest image. you will need a 003 revision board. just wait on ebay. you should find one sooner or later

john-erik.krische

Ive also gotten my system booted with just a 600 watt psu. it even works with the 970. though i am currently using e5530s which are Pretty low power. can you also possibly give me a template for the drill holes, as i am getting the ds6 as well. also the adapters are avalable on ebay now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/381204131893?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Andy Brown

So I bought :

2x X5670 + Fans

+1 on what John said. Your seller is wrong. You need an 003 board to work reliably with dual X56xx series. Try taking CPU #2 out and booting up.
It's worse than that, it's physics Jim!

Marco Silva

So I bought :

2x X5670 + Fans
3x GTX 780 Ti
48GB of RAM

Talk soon

Nicolas

You need to flash it first with a Xeon X55XX series to the latest bios. My revision 02 board is working just fine with 2 Xeon X5675, some times is hard to boot but 80% of the time it boots at first try. If you are not that lucky don't get a revision 03 board because they are absolutely  not worth it :)

There is no one selling 003 revision boards as surplus stock, you will just buy an used overpriced motherboard. There are better options for used dual xeon 1366 motherboads like the supermicro that are completely standard...no hacking required...just put it in a box, plug in psu with no adapters and your standard fan connectors and you're good to go  ;)

Attilio Fiandrotti

Quote from: Andy Brown on July 16, 2015, 01:21:01 pm
Quote from: Attilio Fiandrotti on July 16, 2015, 06:31:07 am
Hello, not sure if this topic has already been discussed before, but has anyone attempted to get correct ambient temperature readings so far ? It seems that the HP zx00 and xwxx00 (at least some) workstations read the ambient temperature via a sensor connected to pins 11-13 of the main connector. The sensor is embedded into the power cable assembly, at least for the xw8600 and similars (P/N: 349576-006). Here [1] is reported an equivalent schematic to build your own sensing circuit. It seems that the air temp sensor drives the speed at which the front fans spin, at least on xwxx00 workstation: getting correct temp readings should slow em without fancontrol. Another option would be getting a xw8600 cable and using the sensor contained therein.

I'm going to try building one of these. I've got a basket of parts that I need to order from Farnell within the next few weeks. I'll probably use the exact same MMBT3904 part in the SOT-23 surface mount package rather than hunting around for a through-hole transistor with the same characteristics.

Back on the air temperature topic: a few days ago I bought an used xw 6400/6600 power cord (462787-001 349576-005 HP PN ) with embedded temp sensor and I do confirm now the bios reports a correct air temperature, plus the front fans now spin somewhat lower. I soldered a 3x2 header in place of the original butttons/leds, so that i can connect my ATX case switches to it. I will post some photos later on.

ASELERT

Thank you so much guys...  ;D

Indeed Marco, I just have found a Supermicro 1366 for a low price (even if it is higher than the Z800), which will be able to support 2x Xeon 5670 + 3x GTX780Ti...
Because first I don't have Xeon 55xx here to test and flash the BIOS and second, following what you said Marco about the "sometimes it boot, sometimes not" lol, I prefer to found a stable solution  :-\

So, I will keep you in touch for the evolution of the machine  ;)

Talk soon, thank you again!

ASELERT

So... finally, if somebody is interested, I have a HP Z800 "like new" for sale, with a adaptor cable to use a standard ATX PSU  ;)

MP please for transaction

Cheers