• Welcome to Andy's Workshop Forums. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:59:51 pm

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Sony Ericsson U5 Vivaz LCD with Arduino Due

Started by GerdJ, September 08, 2015, 01:54:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GerdJ

Hi,
I'm trying to write some basic commands to control the Sony U5 Vivaz LCD with an Arduino Due.
I will create a shield for the Due with full 16bit port addressing on port C. I'm still in Eagle and its hard to find the 34 pin connector in germany :-(

Anyway, can anbody give some hints, possibly sample code in Arduino, to get this phantastic LCD initialized, turn on BL, and draw some pixels? What commands in what order? Just basic things, please.

I looked into the libs and drivers created by Andy (my respect for that!), but to be honest, its very hard for me to follow the code in all the files.

Thank you very much!

Andy Brown

Hi,

You're in luck. The R61523 is one of the easiest panels to initialise. There's no complex oscillator or voltage multiplier settings. You just wake it up and set the orientation and colour depth.

Here's the post-reset wakeup sequence. Here's the sequence to set it to 24-bit colour depth. See similar files in the same directory for 16 and 18-bit modes. Here's the code for enabling landscape orientation.

Until the backlight is enabled you will see nothing at all so your first aim should be to get the backlight working. Here's the code to control the PWM output pin that can be used to drive the enable (EN) pin of a step-up LED driver. Please see my blog article for schematics and details of how I drive the backlight.
It's worse than that, it's physics Jim!

GerdJ

September 09, 2015, 10:10:40 am #2 Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:49:47 am by GerdJ
Hi Andy,
thank you very much, this will help getting started.

For the BL, I can just use a step up converter with max. current at 20mA, right? No PWM for 1st tests.

Andy Brown

Quote from: GerdJ on September 09, 2015, 10:10:40 am
For the BL, I can just use a step up converter with max. current at 20mA, right? No PWM for 1st tests.
Yes definitely. The backlight is a separate circuit and can be driven for testing with nothing else connected. If I remember correctly I verified the suspected backlight pinout using a bench power supply, a resistor, a pair of very fine wires for probes, a microscope and my wife to tell me whether she could see a light come on around the panel when I touched the pins on the connector very carefully!

GerdJ

I bought a used and 'defectife' U5 some time ago on ebay for a few €.
The lcd was broken but the phone was working, I decided to take it apart and desolder the micro-tiny 34 pin connector with a heatgun. The lcd indeed uses 6 leds in series. Using a current limiting powersupply its working.

Hopefully I'm able to solder the small connector to the pcb with my soldering station...

Andy Brown

The 0.4mm connector is a hard one to solder but it sounds like you have the right equipment to do it. Careful not to melt the plastic with your heat gun! Good luck and feel free to post photos if you get it working :)

GerdJ

Thank you very much, I will try my best.

One quick question, Andy.
The 2.8V LDO is for the processor, right?
Datasheet says, that VCC is as typ. 1.8V (up to 3.6). So, it is ok to connect 3.3V to A13, VCC?

Andy Brown

The 2.8V LDO is for VCI (2.60 - 3.00V). See data sheet "Table 1 R61523 Power Supply Specification"

IOVCC has a wider acceptable range but if you can power everything from 2.8V then you'll save yourself some components.

GerdJ

Thanks Andy.

Maybe I'm blind, but where are commands

_accessMode.writeCommand(...)
      _accessMode.writeData(...)

defined?

Andy Brown

They come from the selected access mode template. stm32plus can drive an LCD through the 8 or 16 bit FSMC peripheral or using a number of optimised GPIO modes. You can find them all in this directory.